A couple of weeks ago myself and another friend had dinner at my lovely friend Claudia’s house. I love a good girly night – a real luxury for any mother, where you can actually have a conversation and get to finish your sentences without the constant and predictable interruptions from your collective brood!
The perfect girls night for me includes good company, good food, good wine and of course chocolate – all of which were in plentiful supply! Claudia served up a simple but extremely yummy winter warmer of bangers and mash complete with some totally amazing braised red cabbage! Ok maybe I’m getting a little over excited about ‘cabbage’ here (I don’t get out much these days!) but it really was some of the best I’ve ever tasted and so had to share the fabulous recipe with you…
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 red cabbage, shredded
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cubes of chicken stock to make a pint
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
Generous sprinkle of ground ‘allspice’ (available at all good supermarkets)
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Salt and pepper to season
- In a large heavy saucepan or casserole dish heat the oil and add the chopped red onion and minced garlic.
- Cook for a couple of minutes over a medium heat until softened.
- Add the shredded red cabbage (having removed the tougher outer leaves and core) and coat in the oil and onion mix, cooking for 5 minutes or until the red cabbage has softened.
- Stir in the pint of chicken stock and brown sugar.
- Add a generous sprinkle of allspice.
- Cover and simmer on a medium heat for around 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped apple, stir and re-cover.
- Reduce heat and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is a really great winter dish that smells as delicious as it tastes and one I am definitely putting on our Christmas dinner menu!